Date:      Mon, 30 Dec 2002 19:16:15 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Dave Hayes <dave@jetcafe.org>
Cc:        Brad Knowles <brad.knowles@skynet.be>, Harry Tabak <htabak@quadtelecom.com>, dever@getaclue.net, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Bystander shot by a spam filter.

Dave Hayes wrote:
> >> Because the assumptions you call "systems engineering" and "emergent
> >> behaviors" may not apply when dealing with a large space of humanity.
> >
> > Sure they do.
>
> LOL. You can't prove that assertion, you don't have the means.

You mean, of course, that I can't prove it to you, due to your
willful ignorance of the calculus necessary to the proof.  8-).

> > Human behaviour, at least relative to groups, is both quantifiable
> > and predictable.
>
> I disagree, and here we meet the classic Lambert/Hayes impasse.
> Welcome back!

These mailing lists are completely predictable because the FreeBSD
project itself is completely predictable, as a variation of the
non-linear Richardson equation describing a mutual security game
called "GloboCop".

This is a very elementary mutual security game, which is easy to
understand and model, if you are willing to learn how to solve
partial differential equations.

> >> Your analogy is arbitrary. People -do- deny the existence of both
> >> those forces. Whether they are "right" or not depends on the circle
> >> of people they are addressing. I certainly wouldn't address a PhD in
> >> physics with this denial, I might address a group of new age
> >> "spiritual" people that way.
> >
> > Yet a falling anvil from the top of the building will not respect
> > their beliefs.
>
> You'd be surprised. I've seen instances with my own eyes where the
> laws of physics haven't held. I know I take great risk saying this,
> because this is akin to telling a Christian that Jesus was just
> another man...but that's my experience.

Feel free to demonstrate them repeatably under laboratory conditions...
you will win the acceptance of all true scientists.

> > Beliefs that contradict reality are unconvincing to reality
>
> Even the belief that there is one and only one objective reality which
> everyone shares whether they want to or not?

Does that one contradict reality?

> > You can't argue with the laws of physics (well, you can... but you
> > will always lose; gotta love the laws of physics...).
>
> When you can explain the magic of David Copperfield or David Blane,
> I'll listen to this argument.

They are perceptual tricks.  Almost all visual tricks are based
on the fundamental wiring of human beings.

If you want me to come up with a way to duplicate a particular
trick, then provide a reference for the trick, so that I can
personally observe its operation.

-- Terry