Date:      Wed, 6 May 1998 08:44:48 -0400
From:      Rick Siple <RickSiple@mpainc.com>
To:        "'Doug White'" <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Subject:   RE: CL-PD6730 supported?

I though of this a while ago and dismissed the idea for a couple of
reasons:
1) I did not think PCI devices needed an IRQ assigned to them, they were
supposed to autoconfigure.
2) The LINT kernel config file does not have any configuration
information listed for the card or pcic controllers.
3) I did not bring this up for fear of confusing the issue but, the
notebook has a port replicator that has two more PCCard slots.  FreeBSD
will find the second PCI bus and detect the second controller.  pccardc
can find these slots.  The controller is identified at boot also as a
6729/30, but a different revision.  I am reasonably sure FreeBSD cannot
use both controllers at once, which is not what I want anyway.  I want
to be able to use the two slots internal to the notebook when it is not
docked in the port replicator.

For what it may be worth, here is the dmesg info when the notebook is
docked in the port replicator:
Probing for devices on PCI bus 0:
chip2 <generic PCI bridge (vendor=8086 device=123b subclass=4)> rev 0 on
pci0:17:0
pcic0 <Cirrus Logic PD6729/6730 PC-Card Controller> rev 254 int a irq ??
on pci0:19:0
Probing for devices on PCI bus 1:
pcic1 <Cirrus Logic PD6729/6730 PC-Card Controller> rev 238 int a irq ??
on pci1:10:0
PC-Card Cirrus Logic PD672X (5 mem & 2 I/O windows)
pcic: controller irq 9
Initializing PC-card drivers: ed ep sio

Please note, the second controller (pcic1) is found at IRQ 9 without
being specifically configured.
What bothers me is that the message third from the bottom of the list.
It specifically says PD672X, no mention of the 6730.  Which brings me
back to the original question.  Is the 6730 not properly supported by
pccardd?

I am not sure if the controller in the port replicator is a 6729 or a
6730, I do not have specific information regarding the hardware in the
port replicator.

Thanks again.