Date:      Fri, 19 Sep 1997 00:27:47 -0300
From:      Harlan Stenn <Harlan.Stenn@pfcs.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Higher-level kernel config?

(talk is cheap)

I was just noticing that I have 3 or 4 customized config files here for
various FreeBSD machines, and that stuff changes in the GENERIC and LINT
files *much* more often than I change hardware in my machines.

One of the more boring and error-prone steps I have to go thru is to
compare an "old" GENERIC or LINT file against the current ones and see
what changed, and then see if I need to roll over any of these changes
to my customized configs.

How hard would it be (for a suitably skilled/knowledgeable person) to
come up with a higher-level kernel config specification that would
(hopefully) obviate the need to maintain the current config files?

I'm thinking about something like:

	base:	GENERIC
	storage: fd0
	storage: bt0
	network: ed0 irq 10 mem 0x300

which would produce a generic kernel with just the floppy and buslogic
storage controllers, and just the ed0 network device (with the stated
wiggly bits), and everything else provided per the GENERIC
configuration.

If this plan is too simplistic/controversial, how about having this config
file list all of the available things without most of the "wiggly bits"?

I'm suggesting this because I just edited one of my configs because
btintr (or whatever) got changed to bt_isa_intr.  Now I need to go back
in there and see if anything else changed.