Date:      Sat, 03 May 2008 16:46:56 +0200
From:      Gilles <gilles.ganault@free.fr>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   [6.3] Keeping host up to date

Hello

I have some newbie questions:

1. Am I right in understanding that running "make ; make install" in
/usr/ports/ turns the port into a package, so that when I run
"pkg_info", it doesn't make any difference whether a package was
downloaded directly from the Net or compiled locally through the Ports
collection?

2. When I run "pkg_version -v", some of the packages are out of date.
Generally speaking, what is the safe way to update a package? I'm
worried about compiling a new version of a ports that will break the
one I already have up and running.

3. Do I really need to run both "csup standard-supfile ; csup
ports-supfile" to update my ports collection? What's the difference
between the two?

Thank you.