Date:      Wed, 16 Apr 1997 23:17:06 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        jbryant@tfs.net
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: On Holy Wars, and a Plea for Peace [sorry Danny, wherever you are, but the title fits]...

> > We sell to distributors and end-users both.  What the distributors
> > do with the product afterwards is their call, not ours.
>
> what do they do with them?  i have yet to see a store carrying
> FreeBSD...

I don't know where you live, but they can be found at both Fry's and
"Weird Stuff" - two popular Bay Area computer outlets.  Fry's,
strangely enough, even seems to know what they're selling in this
case.  I noticed only 2.1.6s CDs last time I was there and asked a
salesperson about it - he noted that they had ordered the 2.1.7 and
2.2 CDs and were still waiting for their distributor to ship them to
them.  The fact that he actually knew the correct release numbers for
the "future" products was pretty heartening - I didn't even expect him
to know what the product was. :-)

I've also seen copies at Cody's bookstore in Berkeley, a popular
hangout for CS types.  More linux stuff, naturally, but they at least
had FreeBSD in the retail box in their OS section.  I believe you can
also find them at Computer Literacy, though I haven't checked recently.

This is not to say that there aren't stores we could still get into
that we're not, and I've often wondered what the penalties are for
reverse-shoplifting.  I walk in with 10 of the latest FreeBSD CDs
(already price-stickered at the usual retail price of $24.95) and
surrepticiously stick them on the shelves.  It's an option which has
crossed my mind more than once. :-)

> at least go back and read last night's list...  and you must admit...
> i am right about the exposure/distribution factor, maybe walnut creek
> needs to get some distributors serious about getting the disks out on
> the shelves...

They are serious and they are trying, but Rome wasn't built in a day
and they're still rebuilding their distributor sales force (they had
some personnel changes which left them understaffed, but they've been
hiring aggressively and now appear to have it back up to snuff, albeit
not quite so experienced as before [that just takes time]).

					Jordan