Date:      Tue, 17 Sep 2002 21:30:28 -0400 (EDT)
From:      John Bleichert <syborg@stny.rr.com>
To:        Mike Shlitz <slackuser@firstlinux.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: install questions

On Tue, 17 Sep 2002, Mike Shlitz wrote:

> Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 17:38:25 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Mike Shlitz <slackuser@firstlinux.net>
> To: freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
> Subject: install questions
>
> I have an older machine, Pentium 233 MMX, 256MB SDRAM, 512 cache, (2) Western Digital 8.4 GB HDD, 24X CDROM, 2X CDRW.
> I am presently running it as a Win ME machine, with the (C:\) drive (hda) set as "primary master" and the (D:\) drive (hdb) set as "primary slave".  The CDROM is set as the "secondary master", with the CDRW set as "secondary slave".
>
> My intention is to run a tri-boot machine letting Slackware 8.1 and FreeBSD 4.6.2 split the second drive.
>
> I also have V-Com's System Commander 7.05 software available.
>
> I ran RedHat 5.x a few years ago, successfully sharing a single drive with windoze and using an older version of system commander.
>
> 1. Should I change the harddrives so that C:\ is primary master and D:\ is secondary master?

Drive layout should be fine. Linux and BSD are fine on a secondary drive.
In fact, I'm not sure 'secondary' has any meaning beyond positional
outside DOS.

> 2. Should I use the  "System Commander" software?

Some people use System Commander at work. It's nice software, but GRUB is
nice also, possibly nicer. In any event just as powerful. You may want to
check it out.

> 3. Should I install Slackware or FreeBSD first?  Does it matter?

If you've been using Slack for a while, install that first and (if you
decide to check it out) install/configure GRUB from slack. If this is your
first foray into BSD, you may end up breaking it once in a while.

LILO, as installed by Slack, will boot DOS and BSD and Slack just fine.

As someone else has stated, I believe BSD requires a primary partition
although Slack works fine on an extended partition.

Should be a piece of cake to dual-boot that second drive. Trickiest part
for me (at first) was understanding how BSD slices up its partition.

My $0.02 :-)

JB

#  John Bleichert
#  http://vonbek.dhs.org/latest.jpg