Date:      Wed, 26 Feb 1997 16:09:04 -0700 (MST)
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        Paul Richards <paul@originative.co.uk>
Cc:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>, Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: anoncvs server

> > > I want a cvs repository that has a pre-imported "vendor branch" that
> > > contains the FreeBSD code, and the entire modifcation history of
> > > FreeBSD as modifications to the vendor branch.  This would keep me
> > > from losing the history, letting me mix and match what I want.  8-).
> >
> > You don't understand what a vendor branch is, or you're being silly.
> > Everything else you ask for depends on this silly concept, so I won't
> > comment any further.
> >
> > What you ask for doesn't exist, and won't exist.
>
> What I'd like to see is the changes from the FreeBSD cvs
> tree being updated in my local tree as vendor imports to a vendor
> branch.

This isn't how vendor branches work, and also completely ignores the
issue of 'branching' inside the FreeBSD tree.  How do you 'branch' a
'branch'?  (ie; you can't)

> This allows personal development on the head and you can
> merge in changes from the vendor as and when you like.

Again, this kind of think *can't* be done with the way CVS is designed,
unless John call pull a rabbit out of his hat.

Next, you'll be wanting to put a man on the moon. :) :)

Nate