Date:      Wed, 10 Aug 2005 12:34:52 -0700
From:      Gary Kline <kline@tao.thought.org>
Subject:   Re: sorry for the idiot question, but....

On Wed, Aug 10, 2005 at 09:07:20AM +0200, Stijn Hoop wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 09, 2005 at 11:29:20PM -0700, Gary Kline wrote:
> > 	Folks,=20
> >=20
> > 	*Which* ports do I need to install to get Gnome and KDE=08
> > 	working?  On my laptop (w/ omly 12G of disk) I may not have
> > 	nough room; but on my main server I should have plenty.
> >=20
> > 	I have installed the x11/gnome2 and the x11/kde uberportscripts;
> > 	no joy.  What gives?
>=20
> Well that should be enough; I don't know about KDE but as for GNOME
> you can simply turn on the knob
>=20
> gdm_enable=3D"YES"
>=20
> in /etc/rc.conf and then execute
>=20
> /usr/X11R6/etc/rc.d/gdm.sh start
>=20
> Note: only do this after you configured X to work right; GDM starts X
> as part of a graphical login screen.
>=20
> There is a way to start gnome using the 'startx' method but I don't
> know it.
>=20

	I didn't know about the entry in rc.conf; thanks much!
	Generally, I use xdm to get into X and ctwm.

	Without exiting ctwm, I exec'd the gdm.sh script.
	It looked like Gnome was going to work; then everything
	died and I was back to my root login (no X).

	I'll try gdm (from scratch!) and see what happens.  Thanks
	for the clue.

	gary

	script is (probably) the Gnome equivalent.  Do I need
	gdm rathr than xdm or will xdm let me=20

--=20
   Gary Kline     kline@thought.org   www.thought.org     Public service Un=
ix