Date:      Sun, 1 Dec 2002 02:17:39 -0800
From:      David Schultz <dschultz@uclink.Berkeley.EDU>
To:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
Cc:        Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>, Marcin Dalecki <mdcki@gmx.net>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sysinstall + swap partition requirement

Thus spake Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>:
> On Sun, 1 Dec 2002, David Schultz wrote:
>
> > Thus spake Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>:
> > > You don't *HAVE* to create a swap partition.  What you see is just a
> > > warning that sysinstall prints, if you have warnings enabled in the
> > > ``Options'' menu (they are enabled by default, if I'm not mistaken in
> > > my reading of the source).
> >
> > I'm pretty sure it's mandatory.  I recently got bitten by this bug
> > while installing on a system with 512 MB of RAM because the drive
> > that was to contain the swap partition (really the crash dump
> > partition as far as I'm concerned) wasn't installed yet.  I ended
>
> It's not mandatory.  I never use one on machines with sufficient RAM.
> How much RAM is sufficent depends on the process mix.  512MB is
> sufficient on my main machine since it never runs bloatware or lots
> of processes concurrently.  I also don't use swapping (of upages --
> the NO_SWAPPING option, which should be the default) or sysinstall.

I meant to say that sysinstall forces you to have a swap
partition, not that the kernel forces you to have one.  (That
would be an interesting catch-22 indeed.)  It's a bug in
sysinstall that you can't make it work without allocating swap
space, even if you don't need it, or you don't want to add it
immediately.  Sorry for the confusion.