Date:      Sun, 22 May 2011 14:45:41 -0700
From:      Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Jamie Paul Griffin <griffin@gnix.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Perl | Frequent update

On 05/22/2011 15:19, Jamie Paul Griffin wrote:
> On Sun, May 22, 2011 at 10:57:56AM +0100, Chris Rees wrote:
>
>> What's the point?
>>
>> Even minor versions of perl are stable, and odd numbers are the
>> development branches -- rather like the kernel of That Other Less-Free
>> OS.
>>
>> It's updated frequently because it's being worked upon by such a large
>> development team now -- it's progress!
>>
>> Chris
>
> I think he's getting at the fact it's a PITA to rebuild everything so often, especially when some of the large ports take so long to compile.

If you're happy with the version of perl that you have, stick with it.

In 99.9% of cases you don't need to rebuild everything that depends on
perl, you only need to rebuild things that stuff files in
/usr/local/lib/perl5/$oldversion and/or
/usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/$oldversion.

hth,

Doug

			-- OK Go