Date:      Sat, 14 May 2005 12:15:47 -0400
From:      David Gurvich <david.freebsd@verizon.net>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PAM breakage

I have been having a similar problem.  I can no longer login as root, getting
a pam error.  However, I can boot into single-user mode, modify a normal user
to allow that user to su root.  Then I can login using root & root password.
I cannot login as root at all otherwise.  Likewise SSH is disabled for
everyone.

I don't believe that disabling root login is bad.  I still haven't figured out
how to enable ssh.