Date:      Sat, 10 Jan 1998 22:21:15 -0700
From:      Wes Peters <softweyr@xmission.com>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        Jamie Bowden <jamie@itribe.net>, FreeBSD Chat <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Book Request

Greg Lehey wrote:
> Jamie Bowden wrote:
> > Greg Lehey wrote:
> > > 2.  I'm also the author of O'Reilly's "Porting UNIX Software".
> >
> > You wrote that?
>
> Yup.
>
> > I have been meaning to buy it anyway, now I have even more reason to
> > do so.
>
> Thanks.

I don't really have any reason to buy it; I humbly admit that I once wrote
a security analysis package that ran on 13 different flavors of UNIX.*  I
did pick up the book and thumb through it once, and remember thinking "this
guy really seems to know what he's talking about."

This was before I met Greg electronically, through FreeBSD.  My opinion has
grown ever better.  Thanks for your hard work in scribing "TCF," by the way.

* In case you're wondering, it was Security Toolkit/UNIX, from Raxco.  It is
now known as "Enterprise Security Manager," from Axent Technologies, which
was spun off from Raxco a few years ago.  As of my last envolvement, it ran
on:

SunOS SPARC, SunOS 68K, Solaris SPARC, Solaris x86, Digital UNIX Alpha, RISC
Ultrix, VAX Ultrix, HP/UX HPPA, HP/UX 68K, AIX RS/6000, SVR3 68K, SVR3 88K,
SVR4 88K, and Esix SVR4 x86.  Whoops, that's 14, isn't it?  Surprise!

All 14 were compiled from the same set of sources and the same Makefile, and
you just typed 'make' to build it on any given platform.  We also had a 'super
makefile' that would build every architecture by starting 'make world' on one
machine of each architecture using rsh.  A full build from source took about
20 minutes on the fastest machine, a DEC Alpha, and 14 hours on the slowest
machine, a VAXstation 2000.

It now runs on several more UNIX variants, as well as VMS, NetWare, and NT.

http://www.xmission.com/~softweyr                 softweyr@xmission.com