Date:      Wed, 3 Jan 2001 14:22:36 +0300
From:      "Artem Koutchine" <matrix@ipform.ru>
To:        <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        <hardware@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Port  access is too slow

Hello!

I have succesfully accessed io port by opening /dev/io and
using some inb, outb  from machine/cpufunc.h. I am using
to to control an LCD display connected to parallel port using
WimAMP schematics. I tested the LCD on windows before
and it works fast and reliable. Now, when i ported to source code
to freebsd it still work reliably, but it because way too slow. Before that
i needed 40 microseconds delays inserted when sending data to
the port, but now i can even call 4 nanoseconds (NANO!) nanosleep()
and get the proper output, which is very weird. I seems as IO operations
a very slow by themselves in FreeBSD.
Is it true? Or I am doing something wrong?

Artem