Date:      Thu, 27 Feb 2003 15:02:25 +1100
From:      shogun70@bigpond.net.au
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: =?iso-8859-1?Q?=22NTLDR=20missing=22?= after 5-RELEASE install

I have never emailed this list, and am only reading it to see how
5.0-RELEASE is shaping up.   Sorry if I'm repeating stuff or commenting out
of turn.

This problem sounds like the one I've had on several occasions when
repartitioning my HDD.

My Windows2000 "boot.ini" invariably needs to be updated because the
partition table has changed.  (or at least what Windows thinks the partition
table says has changed).  That's why NTLDR is missing - Windows is looking
at the wrong partition.

The MS knowledge base article 102873 indicates that the boot.ini partition
format is:
multi(X)disk(Y)rdisk(Z)partition(W)\<winnt_dir>

 From memory, you have to mess with partition(W) until you get the right
partition.  I've never done a systematic test to be more specific than this.

I have always used FAT32 partitions so mounting the WinNT System partition
(so that I can change boot.ini) is no problem.  I have never used NTFS
partitions so this might not be helpful for you.  Maybe the Windows
Emergency Boot Disk can help you out there????

You can search MS for other "boot.ini" articles.

good-luck,
SDH

PS  I seem to remember that I also had to delete "hiberfil.sys" from the
WinNT system partition, but I can't remember what my theory for that was.
Something to do with "boot.ini" being cached.

I haven't systematically tested, but it works for me without resorting to
Windows tools.