Date:      Mon, 16 Jan 95 23:49:20 MST
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        wollman@halloran-eldar.lcs.mit.edu (Garrett Wollman)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: CVS stuff

> <<On Mon, 16 Jan 95 10:40:44 MST, terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert) said:
>
> > I have yet to see alternate message catalogs for, for instance, ash, csh,
> > and bash...
>
> Perhaps because no-one cares?
>
> Printing messages in a different language other than the standard one
> is generally counterproductive, unless you want to go the idiotic IBM
> way (or the bozotic DEC way) and cite each message by number in
> addition to name.

What does siting message by number have to do with not citing message
by English Message Text?  !a => b?  That's a logical fallacy.

The idea is to *not* cite by English ("the standard language") and *not*
cite by numeric message, but *instead* look up the message to present in
a catalog and present the one for the current user selected locale.

The problem peing pointed to is the lack of respect for the locale
exhibited by, among other basic components, the shells.

It makes no sense to be able to display Russian, for instance, if none
of the data on the system is Russian text!

The idea that "no one cares" (to do the work, yet) is probably a lot
closer to the real mark, than is the paragraph following it.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu
---
or previous employers.