Date:      Wed, 04 Aug 1999 18:04:24 -0500
From:      Carol Deihl <carol@tinker.com>
To:        Mike Hoskins <mike@snafu.adept.org>
Cc:        Luis Moreno <luis@cantv.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Troubles with Apache on FreeBSD

I'm reasonably sure that fiddling with maxusers won't fix this
particular problem. At the time I first encountered the problem,
I was running with maxusers 128 and CHILD_MAX=512 and OPEN_MAX=1024.
Making these very large did not effect the problem. So
I put some debug statements in the Apache source in mod_cgi.c and
found that it was dying at the fork with errno=35. Once I upped
the limit maxproc, I never had the problem again. This was on
FBSD 2.2.x (don't recall which, exactly), about a year and a half
ago, with similar versions of the software as Luis is running.

Carol

--
Carol Deihl - carol@tinker.com
Shrier and Deihl - Unix Network Admin and Internet Software Development