Date:      Sun, 02 Nov 2003 17:41:17 +0000
From:      Jens Rehsack <rehsack@liwing.de>
To:        Robin Schoonover <end@endif.cjb.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Updating ports perl from 5.8.0 to 5.8.1

Robin Schoonover wrote:
> On Sun, 2 Nov 2003 12:14:56 -0500, H.Wade Minter <minter@lunenburg.org>
> wrote:
>
>>On Nov 2, 2003, at 12:01 PM, Lowell Gilbert wrote:
>>
>>>Yes.  "portupgrade -rf perl" is *exactly* what the incantation I would
>>>have recommended.
>>
>>That didn't seem to work.  I ran that on one system, and it only
>>upgraded perl, it didn't attempt to do any of the p5-* packages.
>>

> You could do: portupgrade -rf perl p5-\*
>
> I'd imagine -r would mean all p5-* packages are included (since they depend
> on perl), but obviously that wasn't the case.  If the version of FreeBSD
> is 4.x, then that means there is a perl in the base system, and thus all
> the p5-* packages probably didn't have perl listed as one of their
> dependencies.

Furthermore ${PERL_VER} contains 5.8.0 as long as you didn't update your
/etc/make.conf (which could be easily done by adding
   'lang/perl5*' => 'use.perl port',
to the AFTERINSTALL hash in /usr/local/etc/pkgtools.conf.

So, even if the dependend packages would be updated, the will fail to
install, 'cause they will be stored in
   ${LOCALBASE}/lib/perl/site_perl/5.8.0/

Regards,
Jens