Date:      Thu, 9 Sep 1999 19:48:43 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Robert Watson <robert@cyrus.watson.org>
To:        David Greenman <dg@root.com>
Cc:        jmutter@netwalk.com, freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Company offering FreeBSD on custom built servers.

On Thu, 9 Sep 1999, David Greenman wrote:

> >Just took a look at the TeraSolutions web page and am quite impressed :-).
>
>    I'm glad for that...what we have up for a web site right now needs serious
> work according to some people. It's really intended to be a place holder until
> we can hire someone to do a professional web design.

I was referring to the content (specifically, the prices/etc)--in a sense,
I'd rather have a readable page (like this) than an overblown
must-have-cookies-enter-your-email-address-to-continue kind of thing.

> >What RAID controller/etc are you using, and how much support does FreeBSD
> >have for it?
>
>    My current favorite is the CMD CRD-5440-104, which is an external SCSI-SCSI
> RAID controller and works great with FreeBSD.

Given that people tend to leave these things unattended, is there a way to
monitor for failures of drives in the RAID from software-land (i.e., cause
the system to generate an SNMP trap or something)?

> >  Also, Dell (and other vendors) has a nice feature where they
> >offer on-site support with varying time guarantees depending on how much
> >you pay--usually through contracters local to the customer--have you
> >considered (or already have) something like this?
>
>    We're still talking about this internally. Right now we offer your typical
> 1-2 day response. Our systems usually have a high degree of redundancy built
> in (dual hot swap power supplies, RAID-5 with hot-swap disk drives, etc), so
> typical disk/PS failures are already covered. For people that need near zero
> time response to other types of system failures, we suggest getting a
> completely redundant server. I can't really see how one could rely on any
> support contract in a business-critical application.

I'm coming to agree with this philosophy more and more.  Are you offering
discounts for buying servers in pairs?  (less possibly the drives that one
would pull from one chassis and pop in the other) :-)

  Robert N M Watson