Date:      Sat, 21 Apr 2012 16:19:58 -0500
From:      Pedro Giffuni <pfg@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: contrib/jemalloc

On 04/21/12 02:23, Doug Barton wrote:
>> In libedit we have incomplete merges from upstream (that was
>> CVS fault), we have some changes that are obsolete wrt to how
>> upstream solved the same issues and we have a couple of
>> files that have diverged completely from upstream.
> I agree that sounds like an ugly mess ... who is working on cleaning it
> up? Is this something that we need to create a team to address? It
> certainly sounds like something too large for one person to handle on
> their own.

I have a patch (pending approval) to improve things here:

http://people.freebsd.org/~pfg/patches/patch-libedit-cvs20091228

and I will try to reduce some other differences with upstream code
but I think at some point we will just have to do a brute merge from
the code upstream.

>> Either way it all can all be solved but it's just a lot of work and I
>> can see how the direct approach helps understand better what
>> is happening and can ultimately save time.
> I'm glad we have an area of agreement. It sounds to me like the lesson
> from libedit is to do it right from the very beginning, so that things
> like libedit don't happen again.

The libedit case shows a case where the vendor branch approach
failed. To be quite honest, it all depends on the maintainer and not
really on the mechanics: if no one cares to keep up with the small
changes during a while, eventually someone has to take care of a
bigger set of changes in the future.

In jemalloc's case I am really glad to see the code updated and
maintained now.

Pedro.