Date:      Fri, 11 Jan 2002 08:09:57 -0800
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@ptavv.es.net>
To:        Joao Carlos Mendes Luis <jonny@embratel.net.br>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org, John Gordon <john.gordon@windriver.com>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: xe driver broken?

> Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 11:59:32 -0200
> From: Joao Carlos Mendes Luis <jonny@embratel.net.br>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
>
> Hi,
>
>     The xe driver seems to be broken in -stable since 4.4-RELEASE.  Are there,
> at least, any workarounds?  Is there somebody working on a fix?
>
>     I have a Compaq Armada 3500 with a Compaq Netelligent 10/100 PC Card, and
> would be glad to help any debugging needed.
>
> Ref:
> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=195414+203251+/usr/local/www/db/text/2001/freebsd-mobile/20011118.freebsd-mobile

While it has a few warts, I have not been having any problems with my
Xircom RE-100 under 4.4-Release or stable up to and including
4.5-PRERELEASE. I'm building 4.5-RC1 today.

As a result, I suspect that it's something else that is causing these
problems. PCCARD support, especially interrupt handling, was re-worked
for 4.4 and I suspect you problem lies here.

For 4.4, PCI interrupt sharing was enabled for the first time in
STABLE. This is nice as it allows the pcics and all cards plugged into
them to share a single interrupt. But a few pcics do not support
this. I know that the Cirrus Logic controller was a real problem. This
is what was the problem in the cited PR. I'm not sure of the status of
a fix for the problem.

Does your system have a Cirrus Logic pcic?

For more help, please include the output of dmesg, any sysctl changes
for pcic, and relevant parts of the kernel configuration.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)