Date:      Fri, 11 Oct 1996 19:57:50 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        "Michael P. Deslippe" <tensbum@ix.netcom.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
Subject:   Re: Next Problem

On Fri, 11 Oct 1996, Michael P. Deslippe wrote:

> Well, in the continuing saga of my first Unix/FreeBSD setup, I found the
> problem with
> 	invalid argument (22)
>
> It turns out that to load from a DOS partition, it must be a PRIMARY DOS
> partition.  Extended DOS Partitions won't mount.

That is correct.

> Now I have everything loaded and got the congratulations (spelled
> congradulations on the screen) window.  I answered, said and did what I
> needed to do to get through the post-install prompts, not really adding
> anything.  I added a boot manager, because the default one wouldn't come
> up.  Running bootinst from the tools directory gave me a working ability to
> boot off the second drive.
>
> Now it loads all the way to the end, then says
>
> panic:  can't mount root
> 	rebooting in 15 seconds
>
> and I get an endless loop of reboots.

You need to explicitly give the disk to boot at the Boot: prompt.
Apparently FreeBSD has a problem detecting which disk it's booting from
and thus the kernel bombs out.  You should be able to boot properly by
typing

wd(1,a)/kernel

(replacing 1 with the proper disk number)

at the Boot: prompt.

Once it gets up,  you'll need to rebuild your kernel, changing the
'config' line in the kernel config to reflect the disk the kernel is on.

Have you taken a look at the FAQ recently?  I believe the two things
you're run into are cataloged there.