Date:      Wed, 12 Apr 2000 03:30:04 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Derrick Baumer <bduk@earthlink.net>
To:        grog@lemis.com
Cc:        eogren@earthlink.net, allenc@mindsieve.com, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [MAILER-DAEMON@earthlink.net: Returned mail: Service unavailable]

) From: Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
)
) On Tuesday, 11 April 2000 at 17:43:43 -0400, Allen Cleveland wrote:
) > At 03:13 PM 4/11/00 -0400, Eric Ogren wrote:
) >> <sigh>
) >> Didn't want to bounce this to -questions, but looks like I have no
) >> choice...
) >
) > This is because you used a dialup account to send the email directly to
) > lemis.com instead of sending the email to your ISP's mail server.
) >
) >> Received: from rod.darktech.org (ip48.cambridge1.ma.pub-ip.psi.net
) > [38.32.111.48])
) >
) > Had you sent the email to freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, the same thing
) > would have happened.
)
) Well, no, that's not the case this time round.  Read the message:
)
) >>>> MAIL From:<eogren@rod.darktech.org>
) > <<< 550 Mail rejected.  See http://www.lemis.com/dontspam.html
) > 554 <grog@lemis.com>... Service unavailable
)
) This is rejected by the spam filter, as the URL suggests.  I've just
) explained this to Eric on -doc: Earthlink is an obnoxious spammer.
) This doesn't mean that Eric is, but people are known by the company
) they keep.

Sorry.  I gotta say this.

For the record, Earthlink is actually one of the most aggressive
anti-spam organizations around.  I did not know this until I wrote
their support staff to complain about a spam related issue.  Their
response made a total of 15 printed pages, and the content of the
response made it obvious that it wasn't a form-letter.  Someone typed
it all in directly in response to my letter.

In the message, they directed me to their website and a link on what
they are doing to combat spam.  They have sued for and won multiple
millions of dollars from people and organizations that have used their
servers for spam activities.  Their subscribers will be terminated
automatically if they are found to be spamming out of an earthlink
account, and they instructed me to email every spam letter I receive
to their abuse department for further action.

I would not have written this if it weren't for their response to my
complaint.  Earthlink is making tremendous efforts to combat this
problem and is trying to be as visible and aggressive as possible
about it.  I hate to see such efforts go unrecognized, or to see their
name trashed, even if the efforts have not been fully effective to
date.

You can look at
	http://www.earthlink.net/about/pr/cp_judgment.html
for information about a $2 million judgment they won and about some
of the things they are doing to combat spam.  They also have a site on
helping you to avoid spam at
	http://www.earthlink.net/internet/security/spam/

BTW, with the latest batch of email I downloaded today, I got 161
messages from this list and 24 spam letters.  Of those 24, 19 were
from AOL accounts, zero from Earthlink.

For the record.

--
Derrick Baumer - Black Duck Software