Date:      25 Dec 2002 11:41:52 +0000
From:      Stacey Roberts <stacey@vickiandstacey.com>
To:        bbrummer@solar.com.br
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, jimit@myrealbox.com
Subject:   Re: Refusing Connections

On Wed, 2002-12-25 at 11:03, Bernardo M. Brummer wrote:
> If itīs a DSL or cable connection probably your provider has blocked the 80
> port.
> In this case they are workarounds using (free) domain services.
>
> Bernardo
>

> > OS - 5.0 RC2
> > Apache - 2.0.43
> > OpenSSL - 0.9.6g
> >
> > I'm having a rather odd problem and I can't quite put my finger on it.   I
> > can verify that the apache httpd is running but I am unable to connect to
> > the box on port 80.
> > I verified that httpd.conf specifies port 80.  I've verified that the
> > firewall is disabled.  I can connect on other ports so I know that the
> > network settings are working properly.    If someone could point out what
> > I'm missing, I'd really appreciate it.  I have a feeling that it's going
> > be a "DOH!" momemt.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Ms. Jimi Thompson

Hi,
  Sorry if I missed this from an earlier post, but a couple of
questions. I presume that you're attempting to run a webserver that is
accessible from the Internet, and you're trying to test it. As such:-
1] Where are you attempting to access the webserver *from*?
2] How are you trying to connect?

You mentioned that you can connect on other ports, could you provide an
example?

The reasoning behind my questions, is the fact that if you are sitting
on your local lan, and attempting to access the webserver as
"www.your_web_server.com" in your browser, then unless you have local
(read internal)  name resolution on your lan, then you won't be able to
connect.

If you've got the webserver set up and running, a request from your
internal site would take the following route (if you're attempting to
connect via the method above):

Your browser would attempt to resolve the www.your_web_site.com through
whatever NS (from ISP?) entries you have in /etc/resolv.conf. Unless
those NS's have records for your webserver, they won't be able to return
any resource records to your browser.

In the same vein, unless the box that the webserver is running on,
actually knows its name to be www.your_web_site.com, then he won't know
to answer requests at port 80 anyways.

Hope this helps. Let me know if I've got your setup completely wrong as
well :-)

Regards,

Stacey

Stacey Roberts