Date:      Wed, 29 Mar 2000 11:04:38 -0700
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
To:        Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
Cc:        Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>, picapau@minmei.iqm.unicamp.br, alpha@FreeBSD.ORG, scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SCSI disk problems on AS1000

On Wed, Mar 29, 2000 at 08:44:04 -0800, Matthew Jacob wrote:

> > Hmm.. Older DEC disks tend to not spin up when they're powered on.
> > I'd assumed that the FreeBSD CAM system would take care of spinning up
> > such disks.  Can a SCSI guru out there confirm this?  Bear in mind
> > that he's using the ncr driver, so some bets are off...
> >

> The cam_periph_error code does issue a START UNIT command, but only if
> scsi_error_action returns an error_action for this, which is then contingent
> upon what kind of error the disk returns. Frankly, this whole area of CAM is a
> bit too labyrynthine to state unequivocally that a START UNIT would be sent
> here. Sigh.

Yes, it is one of the most complicated pieces of the CAM code.  Error
recovery in general is complicated.  That code is being rewritten, though.

In any case, yes, you will get a start unit if the error is 0x04,0x02, or
"Logical unit not ready, initializing cmd. required".

You will also get a start unit if you have a Quantum Fireball ST and it
returns 0x04,0x0b.

Since the boot disk in the machine in question must be spinning in order
for any OS to boot, you should be able to get dmesg output from the
machine, and we can see what sort of error the disks are returning.  If you
just want to kludge around it, you can do things like:

camcontrol start da1

in /etc/rc before the disks are mounted.  If these disks are returning a
non-standard sense code, we can probably quirk them so they'll get started.

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry
ken@kdm.org