Date:      Fri, 19 Jul 1996 12:03:16 -0500
From:      steve farrell <spfarrel@midway.uchicago.edu>
To:        Ron Echeverri <rone@bofh.noc.best.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   rcmd: socket: Protocol not available

>% rlogin shellx
>rcmd: socket: Protocol not available
>
>This did not happen when i was running 2.1-STABLE nor did it happen with
>2.2-SNAP9606.  What'd i do wrong?  I don't know what could be causing this,
>so i'm not sure where to look to fix it.  In the meantime, of course, i'm
>trying to figure out how to work with ssh (and also figure out why it refuses
>to start certain X clients from my .xinitrc now) and xauth...
>
>thanks
>rone

i'm getting this too.  i assumed it was due to the lazy way i've been
upgrading to 2.1.5 from 2.1-stable: picking random parts of the source
tree and typing make all install.  i'm been planning on doing a make
world, since today telnetd stopped working, complaining of an
unresolved symbol in libc.  i'm going to try to do a make all install
in /usr/src/lib (latest sup), and see how it goes.

[some time passes...]

...actually, i rather suspect you did what i did, which was give
yourself a copy of libc.so.3.0 so you could run binaries from a
-current box.  evidentally i've been building against this library not
libc.so.2.2.  i wouldn't think it would matter much, except that 3.0
doesn't seem to match a 2.1 kernel, and hence these errors. [that's my
guess, at least]  try ldd'ing your rsh.

considering things like make (at least for me) are now built against
3.0, probably the only solutions are (a) finish going to 2.2 (b) do a
full binary installation for 2.1.5.  i'm going to go for (b); i've
already got a 2.2 box to play with.

(unless maybe if i put libc.so.3.0 someplace weird, add an
LD_LIBRARY_PATH, and try making stuff?? -- that might work too...)

--steve farrell