Date:      Mon, 5 Aug 2002 02:02:40 -0700
From:      Luigi Rizzo <rizzo@icir.org>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: how to create per-cpu variables in SMP kernels ?

On Mon, Aug 05, 2002 at 01:54:45AM -0700, Terry Lambert wrote:
> > i am asking because in the code I see several instance of things like
> >
> >         p = curproc;
> >         <code using p instead of curproc>
> >
> > in a context where curproc is not supposed to change. Is there a
> > performance bonus in doing this, or not ?
>
> Yes.  Look at the definition of curproc.

which was my question in the first place :)
From what i have seen, in -current at least, reading one of these
variables merely means accessing them through %fs, but other than that
they look no different than other globals. Am i wrong ?
(in fact, i wonder if the code couldn't be made a little bit
smarter -- if as you say these variables are in a specially
mapped page, they should look just the same as others, don't they ?

	cheers
	luigi