Date:      Thu, 28 Aug 1997 13:15:45 +0100 (BST)
From:      jake@pcug.co.uk
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   login.conf, init and daemon class

Hello,

I have trouble getting my named up in 2.2-stable with MAXUSERS=128

It runs out of memory and complains "no memory for more zone"
and sometimes also qnew fails and it dies.

adding "ulimit -a" in /etc/rc shows

cpu time               (seconds, -t)  unlimited
file size           (512-blocks, -f)  unlimited
data seg size           (kbytes, -d)  16384
stack size              (kbytes, -s)  8192
core file size      (512-blocks, -c)  0
max memory size         (kbytes, -m)  65536
locked memory           (kbytes, -l)  61152
max user processes              (-u)  256
open files                      (-n)  1024

so that's the problem obviously, but in /etc/login.conf there is:

#
# Settings used by /etc/rc
#
daemon:\
        :coredumpsize=0:\
	:datasize=32M:\
	:maxproc=256:\
	:maxproc-cur@:\
	:memoryuse-cur=64M:\
	:memorylocked-cur=64M:\
	:openfiles=1024:\
	:openfiles-cur@:\
	:stacksize=16M:\
	:tc=default:

What is happening?
How do I get rc to be run using the daemon class?

Will adding "daemon" in master.passwd for root do it
but why is that not the default?

Regards,
Jake