Date:      Wed, 04 Mar 1998 23:48:51 +0000
From:      Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
To:        Ruslan Ermilov <ru@ucb.crimea.ua>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG (FreeBSD Questions)
Subject:   Re: PPP 1.65, five questions

> Hi!
>
> I'm using ppp v1.65, mgetty with Auto_PPP and chap
> as an authentication method.
>
> I have a couple of questions on setting up ppp server:
>
> 1) What compressions supported by Win95 (pred1, deflate, pppd-deflate)?

None :-(  AFAIK, Win95 just does stacker.

> 2) Does Win95 supports PAP?

Yep - that's the little login window you get with the ``connect''
button on it (from memory).

> 3) Ppp makes an utmp entry with wrong tty-line, is this a bug?

Sounds like it - can you give more details ?  Are you using the
latest ppp from http://www.FreeBSD.org/~brian ?

> 4) How to use a fourth field in /etc/ppp/ppp.secret? any examples?

Well, say you've got

myname	mysecret	1.2.3.4	myname

you can then have a label called ``myname'' in ppp.link{up,down} and
it'll get used instead of the profile you were using before logging
in.

> 5) When I "set encrypt MSChap", I'm unable to log in from Win95 (OSR2)
>    with the following diagnostics:

[.....]

Yep.  This is a bug really.  It was originally only tested with the
FreeBSD box on the client side.  I've been meaning to fix this, but
haven't gotten 'round to it :-|

      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;