Date:      Sun, 23 Dec 2007 02:38:53 +0000
From:      RW <fbsd06@mlists.homeunix.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Updating ports

On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 18:47:52 -0600
Paul Schmehl <pauls@utdallas.edu> wrote:

> --On December 23, 2007 1:19:21 AM +0100 Peter Schuller
> <peter.schuller@infidyne.com> wrote:
> >
> > In particular, given a re-build (e.g. upgraded) port X, all ports
> > depending on  X will also be re-built regardless of whether that is
> > required according to  the dependency relation. This is handled in
> > such a way that it is not  dependent on the entire procedure
> > completing in one session, as you are with  portupgrade (meaning
> > it's restartable, as mentioned above).
> >

> I don't understand this statement.  I have killed portupgrade on
> numerous occasions, both locally and remotely, and have never had a
> problem restarting later.

Something like

portupgrade -fr perl

is pretty hard to restart efficiently.

> > In practice, I find this is the most useful upgrading method. I have
> > never  been able to use portupgrade for more than a week or two on a
> > real machine  without running into issues (stale dependencies,
> > failed builds due to weak  dependency information, etc).
> >

> I *really* don't understand this.  I can count on one hand the number
> of times that I've run into dependency problems with portupgrade, and
> all of those were addressed in /usr/port/UPDATING or by simply
> deinstalling and reinstalling the port in question.

It was really intended to handle major upgrades where multiple UPDATING
instructions run together. And back in the days when Gnome upgrades
involved wrapping portupgrade in a shell script run in single-user
mode with a 50:50 chance of success, portmanager just took it in its
stride. I think it is a useful approach because it trades a lot of cpu
cycle for me not having to sober-up and think about things - and that
always a win. Unfortunately, it's gone without developer support for
too long now and I'm getting a bit wary about it.