Date:      Fri, 28 Aug 2009 15:54:05 +0400
From:      Jeff Laine <wtf.jlaine@gmail.com>
To:        Boris Samorodov <bsam@ipt.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: linux_base installation - missing rpm binary

On Fri,28-08-2009 [14:57:04], Boris Samorodov wrote:
> On Fri, 28 Aug 2009 13:06:28 +0400 Jeff Laine wrote:
>
> > I've just installed the emulators/linux_base-f10 port in order to run some
> > rpm-based applications.
> > Various online manuals told me that one should not use the native freebsd rpm
> > binary (archivers/rpm), but instead use the /compat/linux/bin/rpm. But there's
> > no such rpm binary under /compat/linux tree. What am I doing wrong? XD
>
> FreeBSD has it's own package manager and it is used to track
> all ports (linux ports as well). So we don't use linux rpm
> database (it is not supported). Said that I might add that it
> doesn't mean that this won't work if you try. But you'll be at
> your own here.
>
> If you need to install a linux rpm archieve you should do
> as root:
> # cd /compat/linux
> # rpm2cpio -q < linux.rpm.archieve | cpio -id
> Then brandelf any binary executable (not libraries!).
>
> Sure you won't be able to do a clean uninstall. But that
> may help you to do your tests.
>
> The best way is to create an apropriate port and use it.
> Creating a linux port is not hard task. Please take a look
> at the ports tree (audio ports may be a good starting points
> as examples).
>
> HTH
>
> > I'm running vanilla FreeBSD-7.2-RELEASE, fresh ports tree.
>
> BTW, I'm sure you have read /usr/ports/UPDATING and do have an
> apropriate variables at /etc/make.conf. ;-)

Sure, I did. ;) Thanks for the answer, I've used cpio to unpack my rpms.

And another related question if you don't mind.

I've unpacked my apps under /compat/linux tree but my binary requires
shared X libraries:

>nsdexec: error while loading shared libraries: libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0: cannot
>  open shared object file: No such file or directory
>error while loading shared libraries: libXt.so.6: cannot open shared
> object file: No such file or directory

I've tried to install x11/linux-f10-xorg-libs port but brandelf tells me
they are BSD-binaries incompatible with my linux stuff. And thus my app
can't start complaining on incompatibilities if I tune lib paths.

Any hints?

TIA.

--
Best regards,
Jeff

| "Nobody wants to say how this works.	|
|  Maybe nobody knows ..."		|
|  			Xorg.conf(5)	|