Date:      23 Oct 97 15:09:22 +0100
From:      leifn@swimsuit.roskildebc.dk (Leif Neland)
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: deleted huge directory

At 23 Oct 97 09:06:01 grog@lemis.com wrote Re: deleted huge directory in area "freebsd-questions"

 g> You can ls larger directories than you can expand with *.  The
 g> latter is limited to ARG_MAX characters, including \0 at the end
 g> of the strings.  ARG_MAX is defined in
 g> /usr/include/sys/syslimits.h:
 g>
 g> #define    ARG_MAX                 65536   /* max bytes for an
 g> exec function */
 g>
 g> At a guess, the names in the directory are an order of magnitude
 g> longer than that.

Isn't there a limit on inodes on a disk? The SVR3 I had before I believe had a limit of 65535.

Anyway, how about this:

for x in {A-z}
do
  rm $x*
done

or even

for x in {A-z}
do
  for y in {A-z}
  do
    rm $x$y
  done
done

Also on SVR3 I had the option on ls not to order, but use the "natural" order. Perhaps this will work, if it means ls doesn't try to sort the files.

Leif Neland
leifn@image.dk

---