Date:      Wed, 23 Jul 2008 11:44:27 -0400
From:      James Tanis <jtanis@mdchs.org>
To:        Kevin Kinsey <kdk@daleco.biz>, FreeBSD Questions <ml.freebsd.questions@gmail.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: The Design and Implementation of the FreeBSD Operating System

"Kevin Kinsey" <kdk@daleco.biz> wrote:
> I stand ready for correction, but "Design & Implementation" is mostly
> about, well, the design of the system itself ... not an operational
> manual but a programmer's guide to OS internals.  And, not only that,
> but it's about 4.4BSD (1993?), so the exact OS described is quite old*;
> however, it's of great value not only as history but as 4.4BSD has
> fed code into not only FreeBSD, but NetBSD, OpenBSD, and others.
> (see /usr/share/misc/bsd-family-tree).  If that's not of interest
> to you I'd not worry about this book --- no offence to Mr. McKusick
> et al, of course.

Your thinking of "The Design and Implementation of the 4.4BSD Operating
System" not "The Design and Implementation of the FreeBSD Operating =
System."
They are, believe it or not, two different books. Your point is just as
valid though as far as it being "not an operational manual but a
programmer's guide to OS internals."
--
James Tanis
Technical Coordinator