Date:      Wed, 28 Jan 1998 22:56:59 -0600 (CST)
From:      Chris Dillon <cdillon@inter-linc.net>
To:        olli@incogni.to
Cc:        olli@dorifer.heim3.tu-clausthal.de, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3M LS-120 support ?

On 28-Jan-98 Oliver Fromme wrote:
>Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au> wrote in list.freebsd-hardware:
> > > Is FreeBSD support the 3M LS-120 drive ?
> >
> > -stable and -current have support for ATAPI removables, yes.
> >
> > > see it at:
> > >
> > > http://www.imation.com/dsp/ls120/
> > >
> > > rw for regular 1.44M and 120M optical at an hard drive speed! IDE
> > > street price ~250$ US
> >
> > They're cheaper, and slower, than that.
>
>In fact, they're _damned_ slow, only about five times faster
>than a regular floppy.  And they're not really optical; data
>is recorded onto a magnetic surface.  They only use optical
>servo tracks to achieve more precise head positioning, like
>those old 20 Mb flopticals (anyone remembers those beasts?).

Yes, and the Floptical beasts I saw were at least SCSI.  The only LS-120 stuff
I have seen is either ATAPI or parallel (most likely ATAPI with a parallel
converter).  It would be nice, however, if this thing came standard on all new
systems instead of the lousy floppy drives we have now (with proper BIOS
support to make it usable just like the old floppy drives at boot.. if they
were SCSI this would be part of most SCSI HA BIOSes).  At least it is a step up
while still being backwards compatible with the old stuff. :-)

--- Chris Dillon
--- cdillon@tri-lakes.net