Date:      Fri, 24 Oct 2014 14:49:30 -0700
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Cc:        Rick Macklem <rmacklem@uoguelph.ca>, Robert Watson <rwatson@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: RFC: getting rid of oldnfs

--nextPart14149217.uzY76Sfers

On Friday, October 24, 2014 04:43:28 PM Robert Watson wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Oct 2014, Rick Macklem wrote:
> > Someone just pinged me on this and I figured I should bring it up.
> >=20
> > 1 - Is anyone out there still using oldnfs due to unresolved
> >=20
> >    problems with the new one? (I am not aware of any outstanding
> >    issues in the new nfs that don't exist in the oldnfs.)
> >=20
> > 2 - Does anyone see a problem with getting rid of oldnfs for
> >=20
> >    FreebSD-11?
> >=20
> > 3 - If I get rid of it in -head, I can do it either in mid-December=

> >=20
> >    or mid-April. (I can't do commits during the winter.)
> >    Does anyone have a rough idea when the 11.0 release cycle will
> >    start, so I can choose which of the above would be preferable?
> >    (I figured I'd wait until after the last 10.n release that happe=
ns
> >   =20
> >     before 11.0, since it will be easier to MFC before the removal =
of
> >     oldnfs.)
> >=20
> > Thanks in advance for any comments, rick
> > ps: John, I've cc'd you since I thought you are the guy most likely=
> >=20
> >    need to do commits/MFCs to oldnfs.
>=20
> I think removing it is fine, but as early as possible (as John says) =
to give
> our -CURRENT users time to stop working around bugs and start reporti=
ng
> them
> :-).

We still use oldnfs at work, even on 11.x, but I'm very much in favor o=
f=20
getting back to one single copy.  It seems like there's too many things=
 that=20
are fixed in one stack or the other.,  We need to stop splitting effort=
.

I've asked Rick before to remove it and get back to just "nfs" rather t=
han=20
"newnfs" etc.

=2D-=20
Peter Wemm - peter@wemm.org; peter@FreeBSD.org; peter@yahoo-inc.com; KI=
6FJV
UTF-8: for when a ' or ... just won\342\200\231t do\342\200\246