Date:      Fri, 2 Apr 2010 02:17:15 -0700
From:      Stanislav Sedov <stas@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "Poul-Henning Kamp" <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        Randy Bush <randy@psg.com>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org, Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>, freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Results of BIND RFC

On Fri, 02 Apr 2010 08:55:07 +0000
"Poul-Henning Kamp" <phk@phk.freebsd.dk> mentioned:

> In message <20100402013353.f544e8ad.stas@FreeBSD.org>, Stanislav Sedov writes:
> >On Fri, 02 Apr 2010 17:26:13 +0900
> >Randy Bush <randy@psg.com> mentioned:
>
> >Ports doesn't support cross-compilation yet,
> >and it would be a pity to find yourself
> >bootstrapping another tiny arm platform and
> >having to use ports to have a usable system.
>
> The result of the RFC was that bind is not a mandatory component
> to make "a usable system", so you argument suffers from bad logic.
>
> The fact that you want BIND on your arm, is no different from
> somebody else wanting postfix on a MIPS.

Sorry, I think I was not clear enough.
What I actually want is to have a couple
of the important tools in the base while
moving everything also in ports.  By important
tools I mean nslookup (and maybe dig), and at
least the first one is cruicial for the system
bringup.  That one is also nice to have on the
livecd, which currently includes (I believe)
only the base system.

--
Stanislav Sedov
ST4096-RIPE