Date:      Thu, 4 Nov 1999 16:41:37 +0200
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, Oliver Fromme <olli@dorifer.heim3.tu-clausthal.de>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: VLAN support in -stable?

On Thu, 04 Nov 1999, Oliver Fromme wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm asking this question on behalf of someone else who cannot
> read/write the mailing list.  I don't know anything about VLANS
> myself.
>
> Somehow, VLANs seem to be only half-supported in -stable.  The
> kernel support is there since 3.2, but the options are missing
> from ifconfig, and the vlan(4) manpage is missing, too (which
> is referenced from several other manpages, e.g. ti(4)).  Is
> this intentional?  Apparently, it works fine if ifconfig is
> patched with the appropriate code from current.

I believe the support has been there since 3.0.

> Is the VLAN code in -stable actually considered "stable"?  If
> "no", then why is the code in -stable since 3.2?  If "yes",
> then why is the ifconfig support missing?  I can't believe that
> someone just forgot to MFC it...

From my experiance it is definitely _not_ stable in 3.1, but I had a 3.2 Stable
system running for months with 4 nics plus 6 vlans. It paniced a couple of
times, but that might have been an mbuf problem.

I have just come across a big problem using vlans on a FreeBSD box. The mtu on
the vlan interfaces is only 1496 bytes, the problem is that any packets
destined for the Interface larger than this are just thrown away. The solution
to this problem seems to be to allow larger ethernet packets, or to set the mtu
on all the other systems on the vlan to 1496. The second solution is not
practical for some of my networks, I will be looking at this more next week.

> (BTW:  The VLAN support is needed for a production machine, so
> running -current is not really an option.)

If you can work around the above, it _should_ be fine.

Tim.