Date:      Thu, 4 Feb 1999 07:15:32 +0100
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SCSI Tape Drives...

As Mike Smith wrote:

> Note that I've seen QIC tapes fail fairly rapidly if not stored fully
> rewound; ...

There's another reason why i'm always rewinding the tape after
operation.  If for some reason the machine reboots, or a SCSI bus
reset happens, the tape will be rewound.  Thus, the backup script
needs to position to the end anyway.  So rewinding the tape is the
best position to start from each day.
the tension pulls the tape over the index holes and causes the

> Aside from that, I tend to concur; if you want the data to last any
> length of time, 9-track or QIC is about the best you'll manage.

DLT should be similar.

Too bad, i've got an old 9-track drive that was once working on a
Unisys machine.  So far, i haven't gotten its SCSI interface to say a
single `beep' on the bus.  The tape transport itself seems to work OK.
Sure, the thing doesn't have any usable capacity these days, but it's
a historical object.

--
cheers, J"org