Date:      Tue, 13 Aug 2002 19:09:07 -0400
From:      Jud <jud@myrealbox.com>
To:        Kenneth Culver <culverk@yumyumyum.org>, Parker Brown <phbrown@charter.net>
Cc:        BSDQuestions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Display Managers and X11 4 (ala FreeBSD 4.6)

8/13/2002 6:31:19 PM, Parker Brown <phbrown@charter.net> wrote:

>Kenneth Culver wrote:
>
>> > gdm (Gnome) is not so bad only in that it returns statements that
imply
>> > that I must find a list somewhere to edit  by some sort of rules.
>> >
>> > I guess I don't understand *dm, which I *think* is somehow new
with X11
>> > 4.
>> >
>> > Got any hints?  I really want to try both KDE (which is working, but
>> > I've got to figure out how to modify it to my tastes) and gnome.
>> >
>> the display managers have been around for a LOOONG time.
anyway, there is
>> documentation for all of the display managers sitting around on the
web,
>> just search for it. It's not really hard to set these things up.
>>
>> Ken

>I certainly do not intend to refute you, Kenneth, but I've been a
subscriber
>since 2.1.5, and I've never (prior to 4.6) seen documention that said
>*something* to the effect that, as opposed to X11 3, you now have to
install
>a "wrapper" if you want to startx X11 with startx rather than with xdm.
>There has been a change somehow.  I just don't recall encountering
the name
>xdm before.
>
>--
>Pb

Umm, Parker - you install wrapper (/usr/ports/x11/wrapper) if you want
to startx as a user other than root and don't want to have to fool with
permissions, security, etc., to do it.  Every time I've installed XFree from
ports I've gotten a message to that effect.  (I started with 4.1 or 4.2, so
that would be what, about 2 years?)

Xdm (X display manager?) is a graphical login.

Jud