Date:      Sat, 8 Sep 2001 03:01:11 -0500
From:      Chris Costello <chris@calldei.com>
To:        Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        phk@critter.freebsd.dk, brent@rcfile.org, current@FreeBSD.org, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Junior Kernel Hacker task: improve vnode->v_tag

On Saturday, September 08, 2001, Maxim Sobolev wrote:
> No, it should be pre-defined, because otherwise we will be
> unable to use strcmp() in a few places when v_tag is abused.

   So in these cases (which ideally would be eliminated rather
than considered for support), why can't you do:

if (strcmp(vp->v_tag, "procfs") == 0) {

   rather than

if (strcmp(vp->v_tag, VT_PROCFS) == 0) {

   in the case of procfs?  As for a solution to the problem, I'm
not entirely sure, but maybe this is a case for either a new
vnode flag, `VUNSAFE', for files which should be closed across
exec() calls (this is all setugidsafety() and its hackish
is_unsafe() companion are used for as far as I can tell).