Date:      Sun, 24 Aug 1997 15:44:24 -0500
From:      mikk0022@maroon.tc.umn.edu
To:        Peter Korsten <peter@grendel.IAEhv.nl>, freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Rumors of the death of Unix have been greatly exaggerated...

> J Wunsch shared with us:
> > As Bill Pechter wrote:
> >
> > >   Lucent and AT&T have moved
> > > their desktops and a number of pieces of development to NT boxes.  (Price
> > > drives all decisions in the free market.)
> >
> > Apparently not.  If this were the case, we'd have many more FreeBSD
> > and Linux installations.  So it very apparently drives not *all*
> > decisions.
>
> Except when the party involved wants official support, like about
> all mayor corporations.

Which isn't cheap for /any/ operating system.  And it exists for FreeBSD.
(well, they have a sizeable 'consultants' page, anyway).

Also, with FreeBSD, UNIX shops wouldn't incur the extra cost of re-training,
re-hiring, and/or/ running with inexperienced staff during re-training/hiring.

NT is not ready for prime-time, and the shop would still need a UNIX server
or two (even Microsoft did).  Then you have the extra cost/hassle of
maintaining a heterogeneous network (ouch).

-Chris