Date:      Wed, 4 Mar 1998 23:34:22 +1100 (EST)
From:      "Simon J. Gerraty" <sjg@quick.com.au>
To:        Stephen Wynne <stevemw@northwest.com>
Cc:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG, sjg@quick.com.au
Subject:   Re: Crashes with Swing 1.0.1 and Lesstif 0.82/port

>Indeed. I want to focus on Java, not Motif.

Ah don't we all :-)

>o Which Motif libraries should I buy? Do I have a choice? From
>  http://www.xig.com/products/pricelst.html I can see that in the USA,
>  I'd be paying $150.

If you want source and limited distribution rights (run time only)
it will cost you $2k per CPU type.  That's from OSF or whatever they
are called now.

>license and do it. Even if I give up on Lesstif for now, I admire the
>project and hope it goes well in the future!

Perhaps an even better approach would be to encourage Sun to ditch Motif
altogether.  The BISS dudes (kaffe) have shown that a 99% pure java AWT
is doable and I've run the 1.0.2 version with no problems.  Sun would
do Java a great service to do as much of AWT in java as possible and
not rely on anything more than Xt and the Win/* equivalent.

Then they'd have a much more portable system and an incentive to do JIT
:-)

BTW, guys, thanks for the latest patches.  My native NetBSD port is working
nicely now (though I'm not forking out $12k+ for Motif licenses... :-)
and having the FreeBSD port to compare against is a great help.

Much thanks.

--sjg