Date:      Fri, 19 Sep 1997 04:52:46 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        perhaps@yes.no, md6tommy@mdstud.chalmers.se, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CDROM image

> As far as Walnut Creek CDROM is concerned, anything which increases
> the name recognition and installed base of FreeBSD is a good thing and
> to be encouraged - they know that they can't get FreeBSD into every
> possible niche market by themselves and they've even tried to get
> people in China to pirate the FreeBSD CD in hopes that it would spread
> all over the country like wildfire or something, but no such luck so
> far. ;-)

If you get an opportunity...

Rent/Buy:

	Tenchi & Friends Special
	Pretty Sammy 2
	Revenge of The Imperial Electronic Brain

	(It's a Tenchi Muyo series Anime video)

In it, Biff Standard, president of STANDARD Software, Inc. is
trying to standardize the world.  Sure, you have to pay for
standards in reduced speed, but it's for the good of mankind.
Tenchi and friends are opposed to Biff; Tenchi goes so far as
to buy a black-market CDROM (of "MACH 9", I think) so that
he can run a Karioke program that Biff's OS is two slow to
run.

I'm pretty sure that "Biff" was a kind translation of a soft
pronunciation of "Bill" (my copy is in Japanese).

Anyway, it's an amusing metaphor on the rationalization of a
fragmented Japanese computer market as being a "good thing",
and very pro-free-OS (albiet "MACH 9").

>From the looks of things, it shouldn't be that hard to get that
area of the world copying and selling FreeBSD.  8-).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.