Date:      Sat, 05 Apr 2003 11:43:33 -0800
From:      Lee Damon <nomad@castle.org>
To:        mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   IBM T30:  battery life under 5.0-current, ACPI/APM and sleep issues

Is anyone else with an IBM ThinkPad seeing these problems, or am I
just not doing things right?

When I was running under 4.5-4.7, APM usually indicated more than
3 hrs available on a fresh battery, and that was usually the case.
When I went to 5.0, it started saying less than 2 hours, and that
too has been the case.  No hardware changes were made.  I know
that IBM has had problems with battery life in the past, so I
may just be a victim of that. :/

I've been trying to get ACPI working with this system, and it's
getting closer.  The mouse works with it (it didn't before), and
some battery related things work, but most don't. (it claims I always
have 99% battery with 0 time remaining regardless of charge or AC
line state, for example.)

I've been completely unable to get the system to recover from sleep
in any way, shape, or mode (APM or ACPI).  It locks up so tight I
have to hit and hold the power button to get it back.

I'm running 5.0-CURRENT, most recently updated on 3 APR.

thanks,
nomad
 -----------
The cry has been that when war is declared, all opposition should
therefore be hushed.  A sentiment more unworthy of a free country could
hardly be propagated.  If the doctrine be admitted, rulers have only to
declare war and they are screened at once from scrutiny ...  In war,
then, as in peace, assert the freedom of speech and of the press.
Cling to this as the bulwark of all our rights and privileges.
                -- William Ellery Channing

 -----------                       - Lee "nomad" Damon -          \
play: nomad@castle.org    or castle!nomad                          \
work: nomad@ee.washington.edu                                       \
                                 				    /\
Seneschal, Castle PAUS.                                            /  \
                "Celebrate Diversity"                             /    \