Date:      Mon, 03 Mar 2008 09:15:53 +0000
From:      Dieter <freebsd@sopwith.solgatos.com>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: no cd0/pass0 devices under 7.0 (though acd0 is there)

> > I still think that it should work out of the box.
>
> It does.  "kldload atapicam" works perfectly.

It does *not* work out of the box.  You have to know to add
device atapicam to the config file, or to kldload atapicam.
"man -k dvd" does not yield anything helpful.
This is at least the 2nd time I've seen the "device atapicam"
method suggested.  kldload atapicam would be the easier method.

> This should not be enabled by default in the GENERIC kernel.  I need my
> SCSI devices probed at startup to get my scanner to function correctly,
> and having atapicam loaded before the scanner is found by SANE causes
> problems.

Adding "kldload atapicam" to rc.local would be late enough to
not spoil the probing of "real" SCSI devices, right?
(I'm assuming that loader.conf might be too early.)