Date:      Sun, 23 Apr 1995 16:11:05 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@ref.tfs.com>
To:        agl@mac.glas.apc.org (Anthony Graphics)
Cc:        terry@cs.weber.edu, peter@bonkers.taronga.com, rcarter@geli.com, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Case for FreeBSD presentation docs?

> The scheduler comes from the 1.2.5 ? ;v)
> I was pretty happy about our new Linux box(ASUS SP3G NCR53C810,Mach32 DRAM,
> AST clone) until I run into the following problem: when I'm doing
> mt retension
> everything else dies (I mean until the command completes the system
> turns into Windoze box running in the DOS compatibility session)
> So I'm now stuck with the question what sucks:
> NCR driver in Linux
The linux system NCR driver doesn't support detatch/reattach,
and a few other 'normal' niceties..
(of course this will be fixed with time.)
they also have no such thing as a raw device (so I'm told) so everything
always goes through the buffer cache..

(source, author of NCR driver (indirectly))

> The previous server (VLB machine assembled from the parts of unknown
> origin ;-) dealt with this simple task much better (with Aha1542C)
> so I think the problem lies in the driver.
yes

julian