Date:      Thu, 16 Jan 2003 23:09:56 +0100
From:      Stijn Hoop <stijn@win.tue.nl>
To:        Zach Metzinger <zmetzing@warthog.com>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Constructive criticism ..

--AhhlLboLdkugWU4S

On Thu, Jan 16, 2003 at 02:32:05PM -0600, Zach Metzinger wrote:
> Let me begin by saying I think y'all do a great job with the ports=20
> collection. However, I think it could be a little cleaner.
>=20
> Quite a few administrators (myself included) who deal with other OSen
> such as Solaris hate to see a package modify the base software install
> trees of the systems we run. Things that we add go into /usr/local/bin
> and never into /usr/bin or /usr/{X11R6,openwin}/bin. I realize that
> the package system makes this less of a problem as it keeps track of
> where things went, but it's still a very "tree-instead-of-the-forest"
> attitude.
>=20
> I propose that you provide a PORTS_INSTALL_BASE or something similar
> that will relocate all ports-installed software to this location. The
> default could be /usr/local, for example.=20
>=20
> I realize that some packages are difficult to coerce into this install
> scheme (with perl being a major offender), but it can be done.=20

This is actually already a feature, though the occasional port may not
honor it. Something like

/usr/ports/shells/zsh# make PREFIX=3D/opt install

works beautifully most of the time (self-built packages also).

See also LOCALBASE and X11BASE in /usr/ports/Mk/bsd.port.mk.

HTH,

--Stijn

--=20
"Oh good, my dog found the chainsaw."