Date:      Mon, 17 Nov 2008 23:58:41 +0200
From:      Ion-Mihai Tetcu <itetcu@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Jonathan <jonathan@kc8onw.net>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Updating multimedia/handbrake

--Sig_/tD02J=JE1SEdoHBIu9l5KfQ

On Mon, 17 Nov 2008 16:39:10 -0500
Jonathan <jonathan@kc8onw.net> wrote:

> I have some general questions/issues about updating and maintaining
> the multimedia/handbrake port.
>=20
> 1) The handbrake build system unmodified uses wget to download all
> it's dependencies itself.  The patches to modify the build system to
> not do this are fairly significant and are a maintenance headache.
> Would allowing the port to download it's dependencies itself be
> acceptable or do I need to continue using the ports distfile system
> and maintaining awkward patches?

Dependencies as in *_DEPENDS?
If yes, please try to maintain those patches.

Does this auto-fetch system has any provision for verifying the
integrity of those files? Like our checksums from distinfo.
=20
> 2) In addition to the above the developers have stated they would
> strongly prefer that we not download the dependencies directly from
> them as the server is not load balanced.  In this case do we fetch
> them directly anyway, host them on FreeBSD controlled systems, or
> something else altogether?

Umm, handbrake's build system downloads them from where? Can't we
download from the same place?
If not, yes, we can mirror them on MASTER_SITE_LOCAL.

> 3) The Handbrake developers prefer to directly distribute binaries
> rather than have people building handbrake themselves but this goes
> again the ports philosophy where building from source is the primary
> method and packages are a convenience.  Should I make the port a stub
> that installs a pre-compiled binary like the teamspeak port does?

Do they make available binaries for all our supported OS versions? What
about head? What about other archs that i386? For short no, please
don't do that.