Date:      Wed, 20 Aug 2008 19:26:46 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Gary Kline <kline@thought.org>
Subject:   Re: kde troubles....

On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 19:17:25 -0700, Gary Kline <kline@thought.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 12:59:59AM +0200, Polytropon wrote:
> > > > > >

> > > After my Nov., 1999 disk failure, I found that my 4G tape had
> > > overwritten stuff; I lost 10 months of data files.  .... .
> >
> > For me, it was July 2nd. The data is still there, but I can't
> > access it because the inode at the entry to my home directory
> > has died, and fsck_ffs says stupid things. :-)
>
> 	Can you connect with your network in any way?  A couple years ago
> 	I had an "Oh no" situation where I figured everything was lost,
> 	but by booting single-user a network wizard somewhere nearby came
> 	by and moved /home, /etc/ and /usr/local/etc to my Ubuntu
> 	computer.  It was voodoo to me.  Still is.  Suggest to hang on to
> 	your drive and see if there is some net-wizard nearby you.

What is a "net-wizard"? Terminology not clear to me... I have
put the original defective harddisk aside and I'm toying around
(sadly, it isn't more than that) with a dd image of the partition.
Some time ago, I setup a FreeBSD 7 system on another harddisk
which I am using right now. So I don't have general problems,
it's just... all my data (programming, photography) is lost. :-(

> 	Sometimes when I have many instantiations of kde-gnash going I
> 	grind to a crawl, then to a near halt.  This is with 7.0.  I
> 	didn't see that with 6.x.

I'm just using plain Opera, no "Flash" stuff at all. I can
open up eBay and middle-click some articles. Load goes up
to 100% and Opera is inresponsive, up to the point when all
pages have been loaded completely.

> 	 Have you posted to the kernel hackers?  Can you borrow someone's
> 	 fast[er] hardware and duplicate your configuration?

No, I don't have access to newer x86 stuff, only older stuff
that runs faster (!) as I had mentioned.

I cannot image this to be a kernel issue. I never had such
problems from FreeBSD 4 up to 6. Maybe it's really... that
my hardware is too old...

> 	Unreal!  My first thought would be to check out your faster
> 	2.0GHz hardware.  I've got a CD that tests drives and said my two
> 	drives on the Dell (2.4GHz) were okay.

I cannot image this to be a drive problem (see the same stuff
done on the same hardware, just with different FreeBSD versions);
I know gcc does optimization, and that I can't compare FreeBSD 5
to FreeBSD 7. It's just magnitudes of time consumtion that do
really irritate me. But I don't mind. Runs at night, next day it's
done.

The make times _were_ of the 2 GHz P4 machine. It compiles FreeBSD 7
as fast as the 300 MHz P3 did with FreeBSD 5.

But as an explaination for better understanding: I'm not the guy
who compiles his applications day by day. I setup a system, buildworld
and buildkernel with KERNCONF, then install all stuff via pkg_add -r
and just compile mplayer (because of flags to be set at compile
time); after this, I _never_ touch the system anymore. (Exception:
Servers I do maintain get their neccessary security updates, for
example for system, SSH, Apache or MySQL; portupgrade is my tool
of choice there.)

>  Is there any kind of
> 	DOS/Win tool to check the microprocessor?

I don't know such tools. "make buildworld" usually is my choice to
see if a system is okay, and memtest live CD. I'm not sure if my
hardware is still "Windows" compatible because I've got no "Windows"
around.

> It can't be fans
> 	completely, but how many do you have.

No, can't, fans run fine, xmbmon shows normal values.

I should buy a new computer, shouldn't I? =^_^=

> My 1998 Kayaks have three
> 	fans keeping the 400MHz uproc cool.

Same here, too, three fans.

> 	Your data makes no sense whatsoever!!

I'd like to try out what happens when I do install FreeBSD 5 again.
In fact, I put in a FreeBSD 5 hard disk and... wow... how fast!

> > I would never try this. StarOffice and OpenOffice 1 had precompiled
> > packages for use with pkg_add -r, but this was years ago.
>

> 	I'm running 2.4 (I think), I only use the word-processor, and
> 	it's fine.  ... .

That's what I have LaTeX for. :-) But I have to admit that I
did use StarOffice for some purposes, and it was a nice program.

> 	Please do keep me and the rest of the list up to date regarding
> 	your hardware problems.

I hope I can find out some informations with a bit mor substance
in order to formulate better questions that lead me to some
advice that will change the situation.

And I repeat: The maketime values are for real!

--
Polytropon
>From Magdeburg, Germany
Happy FreeBSD user since 4.0