Date:      Mon, 19 Jan 1998 18:24:18 +0200 (EET)
From:      mika ruohotie <bsdhack@shadows.aeon.net>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Splash screen (splashkit) for 3.0 systems...

> Mika asked about making the splash screen stay on until somebody
> logged in.  <199801111402.QAA02310@shadows.aeon.net> I lost the
> original message, and the mailing list search (actually, all hub http
> requests) seems to be down, so I don't quite remember why.  Mika?

sorry, been working/offtown lately...

i'd like to see the splash staying up until a "magic" keys are pressed
so that our customers would see just if the firewall is running or not.

and this should rather be a splash so that they dont see the booting,
nor the possible system messages. [1]

> interact with a computer graphically, I'll use X.  Does anybody else
> have an opinion on this?

i defenitely prefer x.

> Also, in general, I agree that the pretty things going on while the
> console is idle are best handled by screen savers.  Opinions?

yeah, though since i tend to run rc564 i dont like screensavers, ofcourse
anything moving is likely to eat some cpu anyway. ofcourse, the screensaver
can be blank too, that's what i use.

> Perhaps it would be best to have an vty ioctl that means 'engage
> screensaver immediately, which getty can send

this sounds good. since i was wishing to see something after the boot,
something else than when it's booting, the screensaver _is_ indeed
what i was wishing to see after the bootup.

[1] and as i noticed, simple splash on the bootup, then screensaver.

> *SOMETHING* now, so I'll probably be submitting a graphical
> screensaver RSN.

=)

> joelh

mickey