Date:      Thu, 29 Jan 1998 10:57:50 -0700
From:      "Aaron D. Gifford" <agifford@infowest.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ODBC / SQL & Windows NT

>Hi,
>
>I would like to be able to use my FreeBSD box as an SQL server, access the
SQL
>database from shell / perl / C++ etc. on the FreeBSD box itself, and be able
>to access the SQL server via a remote Windows NT box (i.e. running ODBC
>drviers).
>
>I've looked at Postgress & mySQL - is what I'm trying to do possible at the
>moment with either of these packages, or how close can you get to this
>'ideal'? - Does anyone run anything similar?
>
>I've also heard rumours that mySQL doesn't perform too well under FreeBSD?
Can
>anyone comment on this (or the performance of Postgress?)
>
>Thanks in Advance,
>
>Kp

We've been using MySQL for over 8 months now on a FreeBSD 2.2-STABLE box.
We love it.

MySQL comes with the stuff to do perl access, but we've never used it yet.
We use PHP (php.iquest.net and www.php.net) to do dynamic web pages on the
fly based on queries to the database, it it has worked extremely well and
reliably.

As for ODBC access from an NT or Win95 box, that works well too.  The ODBC
drivers have sure made it easy to the database.

As for mySQL performance, we've had no nproblems.  I haven't run it against
Postgress, so I don't know how it compares.  MySQL is certainly superior to
mSQL, at least the older mSQL version we were running before MySQL.

Aaron out.